Monday, May 10, 2010

Some Tough Choices, and A Decision

Five years ago, an idea was born and a little business began. Over the years, time and money had to be allotted elsewhere, but the dream continued to grow and evolve and in 2008, an Etsy shop was opened. Some sales were made and there was the hint of success in the future. A son was born, a break taken, a rebranding and a re-launch. Hopes were high and so was motivation. But there was less time, less money, and while feedback was positive, sales were....mediocre. A new direction opened up - custom invitations. More work, but perhaps more money and the chance to work from home. Numbers were crunched, options were weighed and in the end instincts were trusted. Five years has brought many important lessons, so much fun, and amazing experiences. And although feedback has been overwhelmingly positive, feedback ain't paying the bills.


It is with mixed feelings that I've decided to close my Etsy shop. I can honestly say I've given it everything I am willing to give it right now. But sales are not great and in the end, this is about business, no? I cannot justify time spent away from my son, my friends, my husband, myself anymore. Too much required for too little in return. Running a business is hard work, and if you're going to do it you have to be ready to invest yourself fully and to sacrifice a lot. Now is not the time in my life to sacrifice - I have a chubby-cheeked 8 month old who needs me too much and hopefully more chubby cheeks in the near future. I was starting to lose myself. Free time was a thing of the past, so much time spent marketing, designing, blogging, printing. All fun, but not enough.

Am I sad? Absolutely. Is there a small nagging feeling that I've failed? Totally. Am I at peace with this and sure its what right for me and my family? Definitely. Its been a great ride, but its time to get off. Its time for me to draw and paint and create art for fun again and spend time doing other things that make me happy.

Thanks to everyone who supported me and my shop. I hope you're not disappointed in me - I did my best.

3 comments:

MerryPhotoProps said...

It is a tough decision - and you do beautiful artwork.

I hope you are able to find something that satisfies you artistically and financially. It is hard to find something you love to do that people will pay you for.

Best of luck in all your new endeavors!

Townhouse Trials said...

I'm so sorry to hear your closing up shop. I bought a card from your shop and it was beautiful!!
Best of luck!

Downtown Mama said...

Sad to hear you are closing one door but happy for you that you'll have peace in your heart when you open the next one. An artist is always creating art! Good luck in your new projects...I hope they come to you stress free :)